One of our kid’s favorite books is Jerry Seinfeld’s “Halloween”. In it, he writes:
“So, the first time you hear the concept of Halloween when you’re a kid, your brain can’t even process the idea. You’re like, “What is this? What did you say? Someone’s giving out candy? Who’s giving out candy? EVERYONE WE KNOW is just GIVING OUT candy?”
Hahaaaha. It is a bit of a bizarre concept, right? …equally every kid’s dream and every adult’s (if you’re like me) nemesis. Don’t get me wrong, I like a sweet treat here and there, for sure. But to have bowls of it in my house and children who beg for it the second they’re awake (literally)…ugh.
We have enough battles to fight, don’t we?
So, if you’re on the health and fitness train and don’t want to be completely derailed this Halloween, here are a few tips to keep in mind.
1. Consider handing out these instead:
hahhaa. Just kidding. That’s funny, though, right?! :)) Thanks to our fun member, Jodi, for sending this meme spoof.
2. If you have kids, you likely set a daily limit. Do the same for yourself (and keep in mind things like a King Size candy bar are far more than 1 serving).
3. Pick how long you want to keep the candy around. 2 days? 2 weeks? You decide…then throw the rest out. Really, IT’S NOT WASTING FOOD. Candy is a food-like substance and not nourishing in any way. In the U.S, it’s been said we’re “overfed and undernourished.” I realize many people donate their extra candy and while this comes with good intentions, I think it just feeds our malnutrition problem. Just dump it.
4. If you’ve been trying to get off the sugar wagon for awhile and are following some of the suggestions we wrote in THIS ARTICLE, you may find that commercial candy is waaaaaay too sweet, off-putting, or simply not near as satisfying as you hoped it would be. Instead of reaching for more to get that satisfaction, snag a piece of dark chocolate instead. You’ll get the sweet fix with antioxidants to boot (and a faster signal to the brain of ‘satisfied’).
5. If you do choose to have some candy, eat it post-workout (within 30 minutes is best, but for sure within 2 hours). Your body will be better revved to use the sugar for muscle fuel and energy – although don’t be fooled – a major surplus of any nutrient at any time will be stored as fat.
6. Out of sight; out of mind: Google did a study in 2006 called “Project M & M” that resulted in their staff eating 3.1 MILLION fewer calories worth of M & M’s. All they did was put the candy in opaque jars instead of clear glass ones.Lol. Moral of the story: Put things that tempt you completely out of your home/work, at least out of sight or in dark containers. Read about the study here!
7. Increase your fruit, vegetable, and berry intake. Did you know a huge contributor to the increase in sickness this time of year is due to impaired immune systems from our increased sugar intake? Next time you overdo it on sugar, pay attention to how achy glands, congestion or a sore throat creeps in shortly after. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years…it’s not hard to consume more ‘junk’ and it’s not just the outside of our bodies we have to think about; it’s the science-experiments going on inside, too. Everything you eat affects your cells (similar to how we wrote last week about how too much sugar ‘numbs’ insulin’s desire to carry that sugar into your cells, leading to fat tissue gain and even diabetes). On the flip side, eating 7-13 servings every single day of a variety of colors of fruits, vegetables, and berries has been shown to balance the immune system. Take that, sugarpie! If you think 7-13 servings every single day is a lot, you’re not alone. It’s why we take 30 ground up fruits, vegetables, and berries (so simple, friends) in capsules. It’s ground up food from really sustainable, herbicide/pesticide-free family farms and there’s even chewables for kids (free for those ages 4+ with an adult order) – MAJOR WINNING!
Have a SPOOKTACULAR evening!
Jess + Team Valeo
MOBILITY & FUNCTIONAL STRETCHING WORKSHOP
What an awesome time last night learning from Meg Frens of AIRE ATC, LLC. She walked us through the incredible and connected fascia lines in our body and how to safely and effectively release tightness and immobility. It was painfully wonderful and her expertise, like none other.
Can’t wait for our next Workshop – November 20th, 7pm! We’re sold out but taking names on a waiting list. Shout out if you’d like to be added: email@example.com!
#valeotraining #aireatc #functionaltraining #downtownholland #bestofthebest
#rehab #fitnesstips #mobility #healthierholland #hollandmi
|Follow our shenanigans on FB|
|Read more about our Coaches|
|Inquire for More Info|
|See more Pics|