Here are 3 misconceptions we hear that keep people from stepping into a gym for the first time and even going to the gym when they already have a membership. Maybe you can relate?
1. I have to get in shape first.
2. I’ve never lifted weights before.
3. I don’t have an athletic body.
We feel you. The gym – and strength training in general – can be a pretty intimidating! That’s why we want to dispel those three lies and replace them, instead, with some truth to keep you moving forward.
1. Come as you are. Thinking you have to get in shape before joining a gym or hiring a trainer is like saying you have to fix your car yourself before going to a mechanic. The truth is, the gym is only for people who have something to improve. It’d be a very lonely place if it were solely for already super strong and fit people.
2. No fitness experience is required to get started. If you’ve never lifted weights before, cool! (most of our members started in the same boat!). A quality coaching gym will show you exactly what to do and how to do it…safely and effectively. In fact, you may fall in love with strength training when you see the confidence and results it creates…just like Leslie or Micah.
3. Life requires agility, balance, power, strength, mobility…so if you have a body, you are an athlete. Plus…one of our favorite things about strength training? It suits all body types, all genders, and all ages. The weight room is the perfect place to find a new aspect of your capabilities. Someone may be built in a way where they can deadlift really heavy weight well but pull ups are challenging. You may be built where you can crank out a few pull ups but your deadlifts may be maxed out far below theirs. It truly is a personal journey and not even worth comparing. This gives you freedom to be competitive at your own pace and discover the advantages your beautiful body shape has.
So, say PEACE OUT to these common gym myths that are holding you back.
And seek a place that radiates inclusivity and positivity.
You may just find a whole new lease on what’s possible. 💪